If the east coast doesn’t do it for you, how about the gulf coast? It has some of the calmest and warmest waters to swim in. There is always the Keys, for those who want to get as south as they can. On the way, you should check out South Beach. Miami is a great place to visit if you are not from the area. Even residents of the state go to visit Miami.
Visiting the state is great, but living there would be better. Here are a few strange facts about this potential home state.
- Florida is the only state that has 2 rivers both with the same name. There is a Withlacoochee in north central Florida (Madison County) and a Withlacoochee in central Florida. They have nothing in common except the name.
- The Olustee Battlefield State Historic Site commemorates the largest battle fought in Florida during the American Civil War.
- Fort Meade is the oldest settlement in Polk County. It dates back to 1849 when a settlement grew up around the United States Cavalry fort during the Seminole Indian Wars.
- Plant City, the Winter Strawberry Capital of the World, holds the Guinness record for the world’s largest strawberry shortcake. The 827 square-foot, 6,000 pound cake was made on Feb. 19, 1999 in McCall Park.
- DeFuniak Springs is home to one of the two naturally round lakes in the world.
Odd facts can make any state more interesting. Florida anyone?