Mississippi is known for more than just the river that runs through the United States with the same name. So too is it known for more than the jumble of letters that has become the bane of all elementary school students facing that spelling test. No, Mississippi is known for so much more, including medical advances that have put America, and the state of Mississippi, on the map. In fact, this state is where the very first human lung and heart transplants took place, with the University of Mississippi Medical Center being at the forefront of modern medical miracles.
And medicine isn’t the only industry that enjoyed some firsts in this state. Borden’s condensed milk was canned for the first time in this state, and the first bottle of Dr. Tichener’s Antiseptic was created and bottled for sale in a little city called Liberty. Mississippi is also home to many famous people who have added to the community of the world. Such names like Elvis Presley and Dr. Emmette F Izard, the creator of modern synthetic materials, are common there as this is the state where they were born.
Move to Mississippi and have fun at the same time by learning these educational facts as you prepare.
- Mississippi medicine is well known for having performed the very first human lung transplant in 1963. Only a year later, the first heart transplant was performed there as well.
- There are many ‘world’s largest’ records held by Mississippi, including the largest shrimp on display and the largest cactus plantation located in Edwards.
- Luka, Mississippi, is known for H.T. Merrill, who was the first person to complete a round trip transoceanic flight in 1928.
- The very first female mail carrier was born and worked in Mississippi. She delivered mail with a horse and buggy in 1914.
- While hunting in Mississippi, President Roosevelt refused to kill a bear that was captured. This is where he got his nickname and image of the world famous Teddy Bear.
While it might be difficult to spell, making the choice to move to Mississippi is not. With all of the allure of the state, you will be glad that you made the choice to make your new home there.